Alumni Spotlight: Peter Benjaminson

Here’s a note from Mr. Peter Benjaminson, Class of ‘67, who helped cover the historic Free Speech Movement for the Daily Cal as it engulfed Berkeley:

“My favorite memory from Daily Cal days was when I was a reporter covering the Free Speech Movement in 1964. Campus police arrested several FSM leaders for exercising free speech on campus. Students infuriated by the arrest surrounded, and sat down around, the police car in which the arrestees were being transported to campus police HQ, causing the car to come to a halt in Sproul Plaza. Art Goldberg and other FSM leaders who hadn’t been arrested climbed onto the top of the car and began making speeches to the sit-downers, and to other students who were watching the proceedings.

As a Daily Cal reporter, I was covering the event. The sit-downers and the people on the car allowed me to make my way through them and climb onto the hood of the car, where I interviewed some of the people sitting there, including student Ann Lubar. I then returned to the office and contributed to the Daily Cal’s story about the event.

My daughter, Anne Benjaminson, was so inspired by this event that although we were living in New York City by that time, she enrolled at Berkeley, joined the Daily Cal as a reporter, and became Editor-in-Chief in Summer 2001 and University Editor in 2000-2001.”

Daily Cal reporter Peter Benjaminson (white shirt, glasses) pictured interviewing activist Ann Lubar (white dress, braids) – Art Goldberg is speaking into a microphone and is facing to the right

Mr. Benjaminson has gone on to publish many books, including his latest entitled The Story of Motown Illustrated New and Revised Edition (including a foreword by the nation’s top rock critic and fellow Berkeley alumnus, Greil Marcus) and Crazy Man, Crazy: The Life of Bill Haley (co-written with Bill Haley Jr.), which will be released this May.