Appointed board members:

Michael Lovas
Chair, Operations Board

Mike graduated from UC Berkeley with a degree in Physics in 1968. From 1966-68, he was the chief photographer for the Daily Californian. After graduation, he worked for NASA doing planetary geology studying the Moon and Mars. He worked for 15 years at ESL, Inc. doing classified government work mainly in image processing systems. He then worked 10 years at Sun Microsystems and nine years at Brocade Communications System as vice president of customer support and a distinguished engineer. He resides in Truckee with his wife, Donna.

Linda Schacht
Chair, Education Foundation Board

Linda graduated from UC Berkeley in 1966 and from the UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism in 1974. She worked as an Emmy Award-winning reporter at Newsroom on KQED and then at KPIX, the CBS station in San Francisco, until 1995. She taught broadcast journalism and documentary film at the UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism until 2017. She continues to write scripts for documentary films on a freelance basis. Linda lives in Berkeley with her husband, John.

Lawrence Wilson

Larry graduated from UC Berkeley with a degree in English in 1977. For three years prior to that, he was the rock music critic for the Daily Cal, writing a weekly column, review or arts cover story. He has worked as a technical writer, a fact-checker at Rolling Stone Press and business manager of a startup weekly. For 12 years, he was the editor of the Pasadena Star-News and is now an editorial board member and columnist for the 11 dailies of the Southern California News Group.

Larry Levitt

Larry graduated from UC Berkeley in 1984 with a degree in economics and then received a Master’s degree in Public Policy from Harvard University. He worked at the Daily Cal from 1980-84, serving as a reporter covering city politics, city editor, co-opinion page editor and vice president. He has worked in healthcare policy at the state level in Massachusetts and in California, as well as at the federal level in the White House under President Bill Clinton. He is currently senior vice president at the Kaiser Family Foundation and lives in Oakland with his wife, Regina.

Katie Dowd

Katie Dowd is the senior producer for SFGATE.com. Before being hired by SFGATE in 2011, Katie was the sports editor twice for the Daily Cal and covered just about every sport on campus.

Richard Lee

Ritchie Lee was the editor in chief of the Daily Cal in spring 2017 and graduated in May 2017 with a bachelor’s degree in history. He currently works as a legal assistant in Phillips, Spallas & Angstadt LLP.

Allen Matthews

Allen Matthews realized that journalism was the career for him when he joined the Daily Cal as a first-year student in 1980. He joined the San Francisco Chronicle in 1990. For many years, he coordinated the Chronicle’s breaking news and local coverage. His proudest moment was collaborating with reporter Michael Taylor on the stories that brought new light to a long-forgotten killing during a Symbionese Liberation Army bank robbery in 1975. That coverage in 2001-02 led to guilty pleas from five members of the group. He retired from the Chronicle as the deputy managing editor in 2016.

Michelle Pitcher

Michelle Pitcher was the editor in chief of the Daily Cal in fall 2016 and graduated in December 2016 with a bachelor’s degree in political economy. She currently works as editorial director of the Bay Area Book Festival.

Andrew Chau

Mariam Amin

De facto board members:

Harini Shyamsundar
2018-19 Editor in chief and president, The Daily Californian

Harini is a senior at UC Berkeley working toward a degree in cognitive science with a concentration in linguistics. She is the editor in chief and president of the Daily Cal for the 2018-19 term. She was previously the paper’s university news editor during the fall 2017 semester, during which she oversaw the Daily Cal’s coverage of the “free speech” debacle that took the UC Berkeley campus by storm. Harini has also served as the Daily Cal’s hiring manager and as a member of the paper’s social media team. She specializes in higher education reporting and has attended a dozen or so meetings of the UC Board of Regents since she joined the Daily Cal in 2015.

Karim Doumar
2017-18 Editor in chief and president, The Daily Californian

Karim served as the 2017-18 editor in chief and president of the Daily Cal, graduating from UC Berkeley in May 2018 with a bachelor’s degree in geography and a minor in creative writing. He started at the Daily Cal as an opinion columnist in 2015 and worked his way up. Currently, Karim is an editorial fellow at CityLab, the Atlantic’s city-focused sister site.

Kruthi Renduchintala
2018-19 Managing publisher, The Daily Californian

Shannon O’Hara
2018-19 Staff representative, The Daily Californian