Appointed board members:

Michael Lovas
Chair, Operations Board

Mike Lovas graduated from UC Berkeley with a degree in Physics in 1968. From 1966-68, he was the chief photographer for the Daily Californian. After graduation, he worked for NASA doing planetary geology studying the Moon and Mars. He worked for 15 years at ESL, Inc. doing classified government work mainly in image processing systems. He then worked 10 years at Sun Microsystems and nine years at Brocade Communications System as vice president of customer support and a distinguished engineer. He resides in Truckee with his wife, Donna.

Linda Schacht
Chair, Education Foundation Board

Linda Schacht graduated from UC Berkeley in 1966 and from the UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism in 1974. She worked as an Emmy Award-winning reporter at Newsroom on KQED and then at KPIX, the CBS station in San Francisco, until 1995. She taught broadcast journalism and documentary film at the UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism until 2017. She continues to write scripts for documentary films on a freelance basis. Linda lives in Berkeley with her husband, John.

Darrin Bell

Darrin Bell graduated from UC Berkeley in 1997 with a degree in Political Science. During his time at Cal, Darrin served as the Daily Cal’s editorial cartoonist and created the long-running comic strip Lemont Brown. After graduation, Darrin launched two popular original strips, Rudy Park and Candorville, which provide social commentary on the experience of young inner city Latino and African American adults through a humorous lense. He is also an editorial cartoonist, first with the Washington Post Writers Group and now with King Features. In 2019, Darrin was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for Editorial Cartooning.

Katie Dowd

Katie Dowd is the managing editor for SFGATE.com. Before being hired by SFGATE in 2011, Katie was the sports editor twice for the Daily Cal and covered just about every sport on campus.

Steve Falk

Steve Falk graduated from Elizabethtown College in 1976 with a degree in Psychology. Before becoming publisher of the San Francisco Chronicle in 2000, Steve had extensive experience in the newspaper industry in Pennsylvania, Ohio, and New York. In 2005, he joined the San Francisco Chamber of Commerce and served as its president and chief executive until 2012. Steve is currently the CEO of Sonoma Media Investments, LLC. In 2018, the staff of the Santa Rosa Press Democrat, one of the papers in Steve’s portfolio, received the Pulitzer Prize for Breaking News.

Allen Matthews

Allen Matthews realized that journalism was the career for him when he was a UC Berkeley freshman writing for the Daily Californian. After Cal, he worked as a reporter and editor at several publications before a 26-year career at The San Francisco Chronicle, where he was deputy managing editor. He has also been on the boards of the California News Publishers Association, the California Press Foundation and the Season of Sharing Fund.

Soofie Motamedi

Soofie Motamedi served as the summer and fall 2019 editor in chief of the Daily Cal. She is a 4th-year working toward a bachelor’s degree in integrative biology with a minor in English. She was previously an assistant night editor from August 2018 – May 2019, and before that, she was a copy editor for three semesters. She is hoping to pursue a master’s in computer science with a specialization in natural language processing after graduation.

Gary Pomerantz

Gary M. Pomerantz served as sports editor of the Daily Cal in 1980 and graduated in 1982 with a bachelor’s degree in history. He has written six nonfiction books on topics ranging from history to sports to civil rights, including Where Peachtree Meets Sweet Auburn (1996), a New York Times Notable Book of the Year, and The Last Pass, an NYT bestseller in 2018. He spent 17 years as a daily journalist, first as a sportswriter at The Washington Post, and then at The Atlanta Journal-Constitution where he wrote profiles, special projects, columns, and served on the newspaper’s editorial board.  For the past thirteen years, he has taught reporting and writing at Stanford’s Graduate Program in Journalism.  He lives in San Francisco with his wife Carrie, a fellow Bear.

Jim Rainey

Jim Rainey graduated from UC Berkeley in 1981 with a degree in History while serving as the Sports Editor at The Daily Californian. For almost 30 years Jim has worked as a reporter for the Los Angeles Times. He has reported on multiple presidential elections, the foster care system, the war in Iraq, and the environment and was on teams awarded the Pulitzer Prize for coverage of wildfires, the 1994 Northridge Earthquakes, and the 1997 North Hollywood Shootout. In 2015, he left the Times to work at Variety and NBC News. After 4 1/2 years he returned to the Times where he is currently a roving reporter in California.

Lawrence Wilson

Larry Wilson graduated from UC Berkeley with a degree in English in 1977. For three years prior to that, he was the rock music critic for the Daily Cal, writing a weekly column, review or arts cover story. He has worked as a technical writer, a fact-checker at Rolling Stone Press and business manager of a startup weekly. For 12 years, he was the editor of the Pasadena Star-News and is now an editorial board member and columnist for the 11 dailies of the Southern California News Group.

Ex officio board members:

Sarah Harris
2020-21 Editor in chief and President, The Daily Californian

Yvonne Sun
2020-21 Managing publisher, The Daily Californian

Sera Nicole Smith
Fall/Spring Staff representative, The Daily Californian