Appointed board members:

Michael Lovas
Chair, Operations Board

Mike Lovas graduated from UC Berkeley with a degree in Physics in 1968. From 1966-68, he was the chief photographer for the Daily Californian. After graduation, he worked for NASA doing planetary geology studying the Moon and Mars. He worked for 15 years at ESL, Inc. doing classified government work mainly in image processing systems. He then worked 10 years at Sun Microsystems and nine years at Brocade Communications System as vice president of customer support and a distinguished engineer. He resides in Truckee with his wife, Donna.

Linda Schacht
Chair, Education Foundation Board

Linda Schacht graduated from UC Berkeley in 1966 and from the UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism in 1974. She worked as an Emmy Award-winning reporter at Newsroom on KQED and then at KPIX, the CBS station in San Francisco, until 1995. She taught broadcast journalism and documentary film at the UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism until 2017. She continues to write scripts for documentary films on a freelance basis. Linda lives in Berkeley with her husband, John.

Mariam Amin

Mariam Amin graduated from UC Berkeley in 2004 with a degree in Political Science. After getting her
law degree in 2009, Miriam has worked in technology law as an attorney for various startups
and organizations. She is currently a founding partner at Start It Law, a legal advisory service
for early-stage startups and venture capital in the San Francisco area.

Darrin Bell

Darrin Bell graduated from UC Berkeley in 1997 with a degree in Political Science. During his time at Cal, Darrin served as the Daily Cal’s editorial cartoonist and created the long-running comic strip Lemont Brown. After graduation, Darrin launched two popular original strips, Rudy Park and Candorville, which provide social commentary on the experience of young inner city Latino and African American adults through a humorous lense. He is also an editorial cartoonist, first with the Washington Post Writers Group and now with King Features. In 2019, Darrin was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for Editorial Cartooning.

Katie Dowd

Katie Dowd is the senior producer for SFGATE.com. Before being hired by SFGATE in 2011, Katie was the sports editor twice for the Daily Cal and covered just about every sport on campus.

Steve Falk

Steve Falk graduated from Elizabethtown College in 1976 with a degree in Psychology. Before becoming publisher of the San Francisco Chronicle in 2000, Steve had extensive experience in the newspaper industry in Pennsylvania, Ohio, and New York. In 2005, he joined the San Francisco Chamber of Commerce and served as its president and chief executive until 2012. Steve is currently the CEO of Sonoma Media Investments, LLC. In 2018, the staff of the Santa Rosa Press Democrat, one of the papers in Steve’s portfolio, received the Pulitzer Prize for Breaking News.

Richard Lee

Ritchie Lee was the editor in chief of the Daily Cal in spring 2017 and graduated in May 2017 with a bachelor’s degree in history. He is currently enrolled at the UC Hastings College of the Law. 

Seung Lee

Seung Lee was the online managing editor at the Daily Cal from 2013 – 2014. He graduated with a bachelor’s degree in Political Economy. Since his graduation Seung has worked as a technology reporter covering Silicon Valley. He has been a technology reporter for Newsweek and the Mercury News.

Allen Matthews

Allen Matthews realized that journalism was the career for him when he was a UC Berkeley freshman writing for the Daily Californian. After Cal, he worked as a reporter and editor at several publications before a 26-year career at The San Francisco Chronicle, where he was deputy managing editor. He has also been on the boards of the California News Publishers Association, the California Press Foundation and the Season of Sharing Fund.

Soofie Motamedi
Soofie Motamedi served as the summer and fall 2019 editor in chief of the Daily Cal. She is a 4th-year working toward a bachelor’s degree in integrative biology with a minor in English. She was previously an assistant night editor from August 2018 – May 2019, and before that, she was a copy editor for three semesters. She is hoping to pursue a master’s in computer science with a specialization in natural language processing after graduation.

Michelle Pitcher

Michelle Pitcher was the editor in chief of the Daily Cal in fall 2016 and graduated in December 2016 with a bachelor’s degree in political economy. She currently works as editorial director of the Bay Area Book Festival and attends the UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism.

Jim Rainey

Jim Rainey graduated from UC Berkeley in 1981 with a degree in History while serving as the Sports Editor at The Daily Californian. For almost 30 years Jim has worked as a reporter for the Los Angeles Times. He has reported on multiple presidential elections, the foster care system, the war in Iraq, and the environment and was on teams awarded the Pulitzer Prize for coverage of wildfires, the 1994 Northridge Earthquakes, and the 1997 North Hollywood Shootout. In 2015, he left the Times to work at Variety and NBC News. After 4 1/2 years he returned to the Times where he is currently a roving reporter in California.

Harini Shyamsundar

Harini Shyamsundar served as the 2018-19 editor in chief and president of the Daily Cal, graduating from UC Berkeley in May 2019 with a bachelor’s degree in cognitive science with a concentration in logistics. She was previously the paper’s university news editor during the fall 2017 semester, during which she oversaw the Daily Cal’s coverage of the “free speech” debacle that took the UC Berkeley campus by storm. Harini has also served as the Daily Cal’s hiring manager and as a member of the paper’s social media team. She specializes in higher education reporting and has attended a dozen or so meetings of the UC Board of Regents since she joined the Daily Cal in 2015. She is currently serving as a middle school math teacher in the Bay Area as part of the Teach for America nonprofit organization.

Lawrence Wilson

Larry Wilson graduated from UC Berkeley with a degree in English in 1977. For three years prior to that, he was the rock music critic for the Daily Cal, writing a weekly column, review or arts cover story. He has worked as a technical writer, a fact-checker at Rolling Stone Press and business manager of a startup weekly. For 12 years, he was the editor of the Pasadena Star-News and is now an editorial board member and columnist for the 11 dailies of the Southern California News Group.

Ex officio board members:

Josh Yuen
2020 Spring Editor in chief and President, The Daily Californian

Corey Hu
2019-20 Managing publisher, The Daily Californian

Saya Abney
2019-20 Staff representative, The Daily Californian