screen-shot-2018-03-07-at-5-36-57-pm

Your city, your campus, your paper — the Daily Cal has been delivering ground-breaking news and serving as the voice of Berkeley for 147 years, and now, we need your help.

On Wednesday, April 25, dozens of student newspapers are banding together as part of #SaveStudentNewsrooms day. Print journalism continues its struggle to remain financially sustainable. As Fall 2011 editor-in-chief Tomer Ovadia wrote, The Daily Cal is still your newspaper. We wake up each and every morning asking ourselves how we can better serve our readers. Countless students have worked tirelessly to deliver quality, independent information to you over the last four decades. With your help, we can continue to do so for many decades to come.

We rely on ad revenue and your generosity to publish both print and online editions, as well as tackle though-provoking projects, like this interactive map of where students cry on campus.

Last fall, the Daily Cal created a membership program. For as little as $5 per month, you can help support this Cal institution that has been independent from the university since 1971.

Why you should join:

• Every new or increased membership will be matched eight times in one-time donations! Your gift goes so much further!
  • We provide comprehensive coverage of the university and the city, including our groundbreaking work on UC sexual harassment.
  • We train future journalists, media producers, and business people while providing invaluable and groundbreaking coverage of the unique Berkeley campus and community.
  • Our graduates move on to careers in print, TV and the web, just to name a few.
  • They win major awards, such as T. Christian Miller, who received a 2016 Pulitzer for Explanatory Reporting.
  • The Daily Cal wins awards, including top state honors from the California Newspaper Publishers Association and California College Media Association.

What you get:

• You’ll help keep the Daily Cal a strong source for Berkeley news, sports, arts, and opinion.
  • A free T-shirt or mug sent to you in the mail
  • A tax-deductible receipt mailed to you for the amount of your yearly donation

Other ways you can help:

• If you’re an alumnus or alumna, Daily Cal or otherwise, you can share your experience with student journalism on social media using the hashtag #SaveStudentNewsrooms
  • We love reader engagement—submit an op-ed or a letter to the Editor.
  • Share our campaign with your friends and family, and ask them to support us!

Questions or concerns? Contact us at [email protected], or give us a call at (510) 548-8300.

daily-cal-illustration