About the Daily Californian

The Daily Cal first began publishing as the “University Echo” in March 1871.

Established in 1871, The Daily Californian is one of the oldest newspapers on the West Coast and one of the oldest college newspapers in the country. The Daily Cal is run entirely by current or recently graduated UC Berkeley students, and the majority of the business division of the newspaper is student-operated as well.

One of the few campus newspapers in the country that is completely independent from the university it covers, the Daily Cal supports itself entirely from advertising revenue and does not receive equipment resources or any form of financial support from the university or from UC Berkeley’s student government (the ASUC). However, the Daily Cal does receive $2.50 per student every semester since 2017 when students passed a campus initiative to help support the print operations of the paper.

The front-page editorial that ultimately helped make the Daily Cal independent from the University of California.

The Daily Cal earned its independence from the university in 1971. The move toward independence was initiated after the university administration attempted to fire three editors because of a controversial editorial regarding People’s Park, a university-owned lot in the Southside neighborhood of Berkeley that became an unplanned park for locals.

The Daily Cal’s 1971 announcement of the agreement to separate from the university.

A board of directors, comprised of Daily Cal alumni, UC Berkeley professors and working news media professionals, oversees long-term fiscal management for the newspaper. The board of directors has no control or input in the Daily Cal’s editorial policy or newsroom operations. In addition, another external board, The Daily Californian Education Foundation, oversees fundraising for the Daily Cal’s continual growth. The Education Foundation is also comprised mostly of Daily Cal alumni and also has no influence on editorial content or policy.

About The Daily Californian Education Foundation

Established in 1991 as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, The Daily Californian Education Foundation was created to support the growth, advancement and training of college journalists at The Daily Californian. By supplying much-needed operational costs, the foundation has allowed The Daily Californian to provide relevant and important news to the Berkeley community. The Daily Californian Education Foundation believes journalism is a crucial method for spreading information and ideas. As the national and international media landscape changes, the education foundation continues to support strategic planning around the future of news and media.

The foundation is supported through grants and generous donations from Daily Cal alumni and friends of the organization. Donations to the Education Foundation are strictly earmarked for student training purposes, including scholarships for student staff members, ongoing professional guidance and equipment that supports the Daily Cal’s mission of preparing students for careers in journalism or related fields. All contributions to the foundation are tax deductible.